TMJ Treatment in Ashburn and Sterling
Headaches, difficulty chewing, and jaw soreness are all symptoms of temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD). At Loudoun Dental Arts, we work with patients to alleviate discomfort from TMD in Ashburn, Sterling, and surrounding areas. Our skilled dentists, Dr. Chuong Phan and Dr. Anna V. Abel, can diagnose your jaw issues and recommend the best treatment path to regaining healthy dental function.
What is TMD?
The temporomandibular joint supports your jaw’s range of movement. You use this joint when you chew, speak, yawn, or smile. TMD occurs when your jaw and the muscles that surround it don’t function properly, causing pain and discomfort. TMD can affect anyone, from young children to adults and seniors. The exact cause of TMD can be difficult to pinpoint but is tied to genetics, jaw strain, and the inflammation of supporting tissues.
TMD and oral health are closely connected. Complications from TMD can lead to tooth damage as well as back and neck problems. However, symptoms can be minimized with proven treatments. Our dental team can analyze your TMD issues and develop an individualized plan to ease your discomfort.
Symptoms of TMD
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, call our practice for an appointment:
- Popping and Clicking Sounds with Jaw Movement
- Jaw, Neck, and Shoulder Pain
- Chronic Headaches
- Limited Jaw Movement
- Ringing in the Ears
TMD Assessments in Ashburn
During an initial exam, our dental specialist will discuss your symptoms, listen for popping or clicking, and check for signs of bruxism that may indicate TMD. Further diagnosis with X-rays may be necessary. If your case is particularly severe, we may connect you with a trusted specialist.
Abel, Phan, and Associates Treatment for TMD
Many TMD cases are temporary and do not worsen over time. To address these short-term conditions, we offer the following assistance:
- Oral Appliances – Custom night guards and TMD splints reduce grinding and clenching and ease muscle tension.
- Restoration Adjustment – Some TMJ patients will need their bite adjusted to eradicate the painful symptoms of TMD. A bite adjustment will reshape crowns or other restorations so that they are only touching where they are supposed to. This treatment shifts the bite just enough to mediate discomfort.
When more involved treatment is indicated, our dentists will coordinate care with all necessary doctors and may involve:
- Orthodontic Treatment – For serious jaw alignment issues, orthodontics may be required. Braces and other appliances move the jaw into proper position, addressing the direct problem.
- Oral Surgery – This high-level care is necessary when the jaw joint has structural issues or damage from an injury. An oral surgeon can repair these tendons or adjust soft tissues for proper function.
Call Abel, Phan, and Associates to Schedule an Appointment
If you are suffering from the painful symptoms of TMD, don’t wait to make an appointment. Our team of dedicated professionals will work with you to ease your TMD symptoms and protect your oral health. Call one of our offices today to schedule a consultation.